Summer is here and Pride season is in full effect with the twentieth annual Sao Paulo Pride parade kicking off on Sunday, making it one of the biggest such events anywhere in the world, organisers said.
An estimated 2 million people lined the streets to celebrate the two decades of pride in Brazil, reports Latino Fox News.
The theme for this year’s parade is: ‘Gender Identity law now! – Everyone together against transphobia’ and it attracted a lot of political attention.
Countless floats and banners showed support for proposed federal legislation that would allow transgender people the right to claim the gender identity of their choosing.
Over 1000 police officers patrolled the event, due to protests and increased tension towards acting president Michele Temer.
Temer replaced President Dilma Rousseff, who was temporarily removed from office due to an impending impeachment trial on charges of manipulating public account figures.
It wasn’t all political though, the cast of ‘Sense8’ were out in force, shooting scenes for series two of the hit Netflix television show, as well as showing support for the LGBTI community.
Parade goers came out in full force to celebrate love, equality and justice.
See our roundup of the best photos from the event below
1. A sea of people lined the streets
2. And there were smiles all around
3. Not to mention, plenty of shirtless guys
4. And trouser-less guys too
5. Even canines were getting into the spirit
7. It started to get quite hot during the parade
8. Even the superheroes were out in force
9. Even the bad girls among us
10. So just let go and be yourself